John W. Pinkerton and Company
Pinkerton Tobacco was founded in 1887 by John W. Pinkerton when he bought controlling interest in the Worstall Cigar and Tobacco company in Zanesville, Ohio. On August 5th, 1887, he created the formula for America's Best Chew tobacco, which has become the best-selling chewing tobacco in the world.
During World War II sugar rationing limited the amount of sugar available to flavor America's Best Chew. Sherwood Pinkerton Jr., President of the company and a chemist, discovered a way to maintain the great taste of America's Best Chew by using sugar substitutes from natural fruits. Pinkerton Tobacco produced this formula from 1942 until the mid-50s.
In June 1967, Pinkerton became the first manufacturer to pack all of its brands in a resealable foil pouch.
In 1973, a new factory was officially opened in Owensboro, Kentucky.
When Pinkerton moved its’ headquarters to Richmond, Virginia, in 1986, the decision was made to continue to produce all their products at the Owensboro facility.
In the early 1990s, Pinkerton launched their first moist snuff and since then expanded into more brands and expanded production capabilities. Altogether, Pinkerton Tobacco is responsible for nearly 150 years of tobacco excellence and innovation—a tradition that continues to this day.